Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Conference of People Living with HIV

Conference of People Living with HIV

Print
Pages: 1

Allan Anderson
Conference of People Living with HIV
Posted on: July 29 2011, 10:00 am

On Saturday 24 September one of the biggest conferences of people living with HIV in the UK will be held at the Congress Centre in Central London. Co-ordinated by Positively UK, the one-day conference entitled ‘No Decision About Me without Me’ will bring together 150 people living with HIV from across the UK to discuss key issues around HIV today, how changing NHS and wider Government policies will affect services and support and what people living with HIV can do to influence this.

Positively UK is running the conference in partnership with HIV charities NAT and THT. A small Steering Group of people living with HIV, committed to the principles of the greater involvement of people with HIV has been formed. The group will develop the key themes for the event. A wider reference group of agencies will advise on the delivery of the conference, including the British HIV Association, voluntary sector agencies and funders.  Elisabeth Crafer, Director of Positively UK said “The health and social care landscape is rapidly changing. There are emerging issues for people living with HIV, with HIV being treated as a long-term medical condition, new prevention technologies and considerations of HIV from youth to old age currently centre stage. This alongside the Government’s mantra of ‘no decision about me without me’ highlights the representation and participation opportunities for all people living with HIV and the organisations that support them at local and national level. Now is the right time to hold this conference.”

To date 50% of the funding has been secured with four pharmaceutical companies providing support and discussions are underway with members of the AIDS Funders Forum. Further funding and investment partners are being sought. Any agencies interested should contact Allan Anderson at Positively UK.

Conference delegates will be people living with HIV, with places prioritised for HIV activists, who already have an interest and knowledge of current policy and are seeking to develop their influence further and people not currently involved in policy and decision making, but wanting to find out more and become active. Bursaries will be available to support people to attend from outside of London. If you are living with HIV and interested in a place at the conference please contact conference@positivelyuk.org.

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Conference of People Living with HIV