Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention

EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention

Print
Pages: 1

Mark Platt
Steering group
EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention
Posted on: January 24 2013, 12:09 PM

EAGA has worked with the British HIV Association (BHIVA) to prepare this position statement to help clinicians and health promoters translate the evidence on HIV treatment as prevention and thus support patients to make an informed decision about starting treatment based on their individual circumstances.

See: https://www.wp.dh.gov.uk/publications/files/2013/01/BHIVA-EAGA-Position-statement-on-the-use-of-antiretroviral-therapy-to-reduce-HIV-transmission-final.pdf
Ben Mcclelland
Re: EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention
Reply #1 on: January 24 2013, 12:23 PM

Couldn't help but get the giggles when I read the title of this thread - Eager Beaver (EAGA/BHIVA)! Sorry, incredibly childish of me...

On a more serious note, this paper is really helpful. I wonder why they have chosen to say consistent use of ARVs to maintain an u/d viral load is "as effective" as condoms - surely the evidence actually suggests it's more effective (albeit only slightly if you use the upper confidence interval on data about condoms)?
Gus Cairns
Re: EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention
Reply #2 on: February 28 2013, 06:14 PM

Hi Ben, they were being cautious and not throwing any hostages to fortune.
We don't have good info on efficacy rates of either ARVs OR condoms against HIV transmission via anal sex , for instance.

Gus

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + EAGA / BHIVA position statement on use of antiretroviral treatment as prevention