Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Help train the Doctors of Tomorrow

Help train the Doctors of Tomorrow

Print
Pages: 1

Forum Link
Posted on: September 20 2013, 10:34 am

Could you be a Patient Volunteer?

The First Clinical Attachment is a chance for first-year medical students at Imperial to meet patients and hear their thoughts on the medical care they have received and to see things from the patientís perspective.

They are reciting volunteers for this years students. I have been a volunteer for several years and found it both useful to the students and a good opportunity to discuss HIV in much more detail (from a patient perspective) than the might otherwise be exposed to.

If you have some time to spare and think you could help, please email Dr. Ros Herbert (r.herbert@imperial.ac.uk) for more information.

I am attaching a flyer from Dr Ros.
Terry White
Re: Help train the Doctors of Tomorrow
Reply #1 on: September 20 2013, 04:25 pm

Sounds good, and at Imperial - my HIV treatment is managed there. So yes, I will volunteer.
Veritee Reed Hall
Re: Help train the Doctors of Tomorrow
Reply #2 on: September 23 2013, 08:23 am

This seems a great idea. I would love to participate in such a scheme but living in Cornwall I cannot on this and I have not heard of any other that is similar in the UK, either near to me or done entirley online.

I am however on a scheme based  in Orlando, in the US run by Sharon Douglass, M.S.Associate Professor, HIV Educator
Department of Health Management and Informatics
University of Central Florida
College of Health and Public Affairs
HPA-2, Rm. 207
Orlando, Fl 32816
407-823-2301
This is an optional course on HIV that student, doctors, nurses, counsellors, care workers  and other trainee healthcare workers etc can take on HIV, and living with HIV  can take.

I can do this even living in the UK and in Cornwall because it is entirely online and this is my second year of doing it. You become a Pen Pal to someone on the course and they can ask you about any aspect of living with HIV that you experience and are happy to discuss with them. You also have to have up to date, and accurate, knowledge of treatments, latest research, social trends etc and be able to provide accurate references or links to this information.

The students are marked partly by you in how well their final paper reflects what you have discussed with them and the reality of your experience and what you have disscussed.

I find it a little useful this know I am educating a future healthcare professional on the realities of living with HIV and the things I feel it is important for a future healthcare worker to know about HIV as I see them of living with HIV,  even if that student is in the US.

However I would much rather be part of a similar scheme that educated and informed UK Healthcare workers, either students or actual.

So if anyone knows of any such scheme that I can participate in online, or near to me  please let me know.

I am 60 years old a retired teacher/youth worker, have also lectured in a HE college and live with HIV. I now have 2 years experience of participating in this scheme to train future healthcare workers in certain aspects of HIV and experience of marking their papers.

Thank you Veritee

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Help train the Doctors of Tomorrow