Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn

Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn

Print
Pages: 1

Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn
Posted on: October 13 2014, 06:17 pm
Last edit: October 13 2014, 06:30 pm

Dear All,

The next Taking Part workshop - Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - will be a creative way of looking at advocacy planning  and will be facilitated by Alice Welbourn., a leading activist at national and international level for the human rights of people living with HIV.

The workshop will be Tuesday 28th of October, from 5:30 to  8 pm , at Positively UK, 345 City Road, London EC1V 1LR

It would be good if participants could come with an idea (or more)  of something they would like to address in our advocacy strategy, or simply ask themselves: " What is the most important thing that needs to change for people living with HIV in the UK?". Ideally it would  be something specific and achievable.

When I asked Alice to describe herself and what she does here is her answer:

"I am an anthropologist by background. Nowadays I am a writer, trainer, networker, and global advocacy activist on Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights  in the context of Gender Based Violence & HIV.

I lived and worked on community gender and health programmes in Africa for several years. I used to train NGO community development staff in participatory learning approaches, in order to support them to listen to people in the community, rather than lecture at them, as they had been taught to do.  I was diagnosed with HIV in 1992. Because of that, I decided to develop a training manual, called  “Stepping Stones” ( http://www.steppingstonesfeedback.org/), which  supports men and boys, girls and women in communities to learn about and develop their gender, HIV, communication and relationship knowledge and skills, using similar approaches. 

For a few years I was Chair of the International Community of Women Living with HIV/AIDS. During that time, UNAIDS set up the Global Coalition on Women and AIDS and I was involved on their initial committee. Another member from the UK, Lesley Lever, who was head of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, and I thought that we needed a UK chapter of this Global Coalition here, in order to raise awareness of issues facing women and girls in relation to HIV amongst the general public here. Thus Sophia Forum ( http://www.sophiaforum.net/) was born. I am currently co-chair of Sophia. I also set up and run a charity called the Salamander Trust ( http://www.salamandertrust.net/ ), which still supports organisations using Stepping Stones around the world and which advocates globally for the sexual and repro rights of women and girls living with HIV. "

Taking Part is a Positively UK's  project which aims to develop people living with HIV capacity to influence decision making, especially around health and social care. The workshops are open to all people living with HIV.  For more information: http://positivelyuk.org/taking-part/

Places are limited so please email me to confirm your attendance Spetretti@positivelyuk.org

Warm Regards,

Silvia Petretti
Virginia Cucchi
Steering group
Re: Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn
Reply #1 on: October 14 2014, 05:51 pm

Dear Silvia,
I will attend.
Season is better to plant bulbs rather than seeds...
Kind Regards
Virginia
Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Re: Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn
Reply #2 on: October 27 2014, 04:20 pm

Dear UKCAB members,

places are still available for this workshop. I think it is going a fantastic opportunity to work with one of UK's most inspiring activists. Don't miss it!

Warm regards,

Silvia Petretti 
Kathleen Charters
Reply #3 on: October 28 2014, 02:43 pm

Hi Silvia,

Please do note my apologies, as I cannot attend event.
I would be grateful for any feedback to be posted if possible?
Many thanks, and enjoy!

Kathleen

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Planting the seeds of HIV Advocacy - Taking Part workshop with Alice Welbourn