Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Perhaps you could advise me on a personal matter.

Perhaps you could advise me on a personal matter.

Print
Pages: 1

Michael Harkin
Perhaps you could advise me on a personal matter.
Posted on: December 11 2014, 12:27 pm

On the 17th November I was in Glasgow Royal Infirmary for an operation.
I had no problems what so ever with the nursing staff and Doctors etc whom I saw when I was waiting from 7.30 AM until 4PM  to be taken to the theatre.
I brought up the subject of my HIV, medication and spoke openly about my status and all was fine.

In the pre-op area there was a problem with one of the theatres as I have a latex allergy.
The original anaesthetist was fine with me when I pointed out I was HIV positive but then another anaesthetist came to me and said we would be using his theatre as it had not been used all day and there would be no need to clear the room of any latex.
He then said I understand you are HIV positive, obviously I will need to double glove.

I was then wheeled to the anaesthetic room by him and a nurse.
He asked me “what I would be doing if I was not here ?”
I replied that Id be at work.
“Where do you work ?”
I said Terrence Higgins Trust.
He said to the nurse “do you hear that, he works at Terrence Higgins”
We then had a general conversation about where he would be ” doing homework with his child”.
I asked how long he had been doing his job and how many people he would have anaesthetised in that time.
We had a short banter about his work.

He then asked me if I got HIV before or after I started working at Terrence Higgins.
I replied with my general answer - drunken lied to one off.

He then looked at my right hand where the anaesthetic line would be put in.
He then put on a perspex shield that covered from around his breast area to well above his head, gave me a smirk and proceeded to put the line in my hand.
The nurse proceeded to tape the needle in my hand.

The nurse was then out of the room and I was still conscious of his face mask – which to completely honest with you completely freaked me out.
As he took it off he said to me “obviously I have to take precautions, you know how it is”
I said nothing.
“hey ho” he said
The nurse was then back in my view and I was put under.
My thoughts were – would I wake up.
When I woke up I was crying …. I was still thinking about how dirty I felt.

What do I do ?
Chenai Chimtashu
Re: Perhaps you could advise me on a personal matter.
Reply #1 on: December 15 2014, 12:19 am

Oh Michael I am sorry to hear of your ordeal. You see how misinformed are the clinicians about HIV. These reactions we encounter them all the time in the healthcare settings in the 21st century UK. I wish you  speedy recovery my dear. Hope to see next year. Have a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2015.
Michael Harkin
Reply #2 on: December 15 2014, 03:26 pm

Hello Chenai
I am fine thank you.
I am just annoyed and will be putting a complaint into the NHS.
Happy Christmas to you as well XX
Robin Jakob
Reply #3 on: December 16 2014, 12:08 pm

Hi Michael,

This is really unacceptable, I hope you are feeling better. Let us know how it goes with your complaint!

Have a great Christmas and New Years, see you at the January meeting!

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Perhaps you could advise me on a personal matter.