Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + UK Cab - meeting 54 ..... Who was missing ? A short overview.

UK Cab - meeting 54 ..... Who was missing ? A short overview.

Print
Pages: 1

Michael Harkin
UK Cab - meeting 54 ..... Who was missing ? A short overview.
Posted on: April 21 2015, 12:25 pm

Well after a few days of a hectic trip to London I am now at my desk .... Tuesday this week is my Monday  Cool
Coming down to the CAB meetings are for me a great experience of gaining and expanding my information, knowledge and esteem and also networking and catching up with people I now class as friends.
The subjects covered at CAB 54 were as always well presented and full of useful information.
My notes which I scrawled are needing deciphered by a code worker from GCHQ.
Liam from i-Base welcomed us to the venue and set us up with our information booklets and sorted out our expenses. Well done that man for all your hard work.
Sylvia opened proceedings as chair of UK-CAB and invited us all to introduce ourselves.
It was great seeing new and old  faces at CAB 54.
Nick Partridge gave a good amount of information to open the morning session on the CPAG - Clinical Priorities Advisory Group.
There are certainly a lot of "phases" involved in the drugs approval process. A lot of wasted time and a hell of a lot of money wasted. We need to shake up that phase process and get the meds out there that are required now. 
Nick was until recently my boss at Terrence Higgins Trust,  having worked his way up the ladder of HIV Activism since 1985.
The medication approval process session led by Garry, Simon and Jackie was very informative and for me shows again the amount of time that is wasted by the NHS in its approval process. PrEP being a very good example.
I had a lovely pizza at Strada for lunch and also a good opportunity to catch up with CAB members.
The afternoon session was just as interesting as the morning.
Simon held us well after lunch which could be the session that most struggle with on a full stomach. 
The subject was on the CROI conference and again PrEP was top on the agenda, the whole process from start to up to date information was well executed in an informative way that captivated a very interested audience.
Being given information on dosage and percentages of protection when taking Truvada was certainly interesting, and as HIV advocates we were well informed on this up to date topical subject.
Roy gave us a session on BHIVA treatment guidelines .. ..not an easy subject but he did a great job of keeping us informed on community consultation.
So by 5PM the day at CAB was over ... or was it?
Well in my opinion the day continued as a few of us went to a local pub and over a beverage or 2 helped put the world to rights while chewing over nobbies nuts and crisps.
There was one part of the day which I felt was not right and I feel I have to share that with you.
Memory is our UK-CAB Mother and was truly missed.
Keep up with your recovery Memory, we all look forward to seeing you soon.
UK CAB 55 .. I hope to be there .. will you be there?
Ben Cromarty
Re: UK Cab - meeting 54 ..... Who was missing ? A short overview.
Reply #1 on: April 21 2015, 01:34 pm

I was sorry to miss this last meeting - first I've missed in years! - so thank you for your helpful thumbnail review! I hope to be back for the next meetings...and best wishes to Memory...
Virginia Cucchi
Steering group
Reply #2 on: April 23 2015, 06:53 pm

Michael,
 Thank you very much for the update of the meeting.
I was hoping to join you at the pub in the evening but I finished working very late.
Best wishes
Virginia
Virginia Cucchi
Steering group
Reply #3 on: April 23 2015, 06:58 pm

Memory,
I wish you a good recovery.
Best wishes

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + UK Cab - meeting 54 ..... Who was missing ? A short overview.