Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Positively UK Launch New National Project in Volunteer Led Peer Support

Positively UK Launch New National Project in Volunteer Led Peer Support

Print
Pages: 1

Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Posted on: April 30 2015, 03:23 pm

Positively UK is launching a new project to train people living with HIV to become volunteer peer mentors.  Entitled Project 100, the initiative will run over 4 years and train 1,000 people living with HIV across the UK.  Volunteers will receive a recognised vocational qualification in mentoring and have access to ongoing support.  There will be a number of events for volunteers to meet others taking part, and a network for alumni to stay connected.

Positively UK will work in partnership with patient groups, HIV clinics and charities to deliver the project. Training and advice will be offered to organisations and groups to help them establish high-quality volunteer peer support services locally.   
The value of peer support to people with long-term health conditions is recognised in the NHS 5 year vision.   Research by Positively UK found that access to effective peer support helps people living with HIV overcome isolation, manage their medications and improve mental health and well-being.   

Allan Anderson, Chief Executive of Positively UK said, “With over 100,000 people living with HIV in the UK, we want to ensure everyone living with HIV has access to peer support in person, by telephone or online wherever they are in the UK.”

Project 100 is made possible by a grant of £1.38 million from The Monument Trust.

If you would like to know more about Project 100, accessing training for yourself or for your volunteers please contact Sarah Fraser, sfraser@positivelyuk.org  Tel: 020 7713 0444.
Jane Shepherd
Steering group
Re: Positively UK Launch New National Project in Volunteer Led Peer Support
Reply #1 on: April 30 2015, 04:03 pm

Exciting news! In Hampshire we have been pushing for peer support training for years.
Dano Wheals
BHIVA Reps
Searching for help with Peer Support Group
Reply #2 on: May 27 2015, 05:35 pm

Hello

Dano here. I just attended a first meeting about setting up peer support in Colchester (north Essex) which Metro are setting up. myself and another Poz guy were keen to assit.  I wondered if you can point me to any good resources and or tips on doing this.

I will email that contact Sarah Frasier too....

Love
dano

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Positively UK Launch New National Project in Volunteer Led Peer Support