Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....

POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....

Print
Pages: 1

Michael Harkin
POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....
Posted on: June 18 2015, 10:30 am

As we all get older age-associated conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart, kidney, bone and brain disorders are seen more commonly.
You may well be aware of the dramatic changes that have taken place to the health of people living with HIV since the introduction of effective antiretroviral therapy (ART). As a result, individuals living with HIV are now living for many decades and entering into their 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond, a possibility that could barely have been considered ten years ago.
These successes have brought new challenges, one of which is how to care for people living with HIV who are ageing. Some research groups have suggested that age-associated diseases may occur at a younger age in people living with HIV, even in those receiving effective antiretroviral therapy.
The POPPY study is looking at the health of people, with and without HIV, who are over 50 in order to determine if there is a difference in health among people with HIV infection compared to people living without HIV infection.
We therefore need your help to act as a comparison to people of a similar profile as yourself who have HIV infection.

For more information check the website   http://www.poppystudy.org/

Or call for an informal discussion with one of the medical team on
Tel: 0207 594 3413
Please leave a message if there is no reply.
Or Email: poppy@imperial.ac.uk
www.poppystudy.org
Roy Trevelion
BHIVA Reps
Re: POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....
Reply #1 on: June 18 2015, 01:25 pm

Thanks for this Michael,

I've written a piece about just this subject for Q Magazine. This is the mag for Age UK's older LGBT befriending service. The next issue of Q, which includes my short article, is being published online next week. It has articles about many other health issues that we should think about as we get older (I'm 66, as you know).

Interestingly, at first the editors at Q thought that POPPY was for gay men only. Perhaps it was because the image on the POPPY postcard is of a man, or it could have been because I didn't spell it out properly. But I took the editors through the POPPY link, which you've posted here, and they could see that everyone is included. I changed the text slightly to clarify things.

Many people living with HIV take part in observational cohort studies like POPPY. But many of us don't know much about them. POPPY is part of UK CHIC (UK Collaborative HIV Cohort). I'm the CAB rep on UK CHIC, and so I'm the contact with researchers. I'm writing a learning resource for us so we can get the most out of this research. I work at HIV i-Base doing this.

Your post has given me the springboard to start a kind of personal blog about cohort studies. I'm making it personal because I really admire your personal posts, which to me are about real life. And real life is what cohort studies are about. Of course we do need the experimental studies which test out new drugs for safety and efficacy. But we also need research to show us how life and treatment affect us over time. There could be other and different influences on our health at times, and cohort studies can tell us about this.

Actually, I'm a participant in POPPY too. So I'm going to begin my CAB blogs about what it means to me, and what I'm looking for.

Roy
Roy Trevelion
BHIVA Reps
Re: POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....
Reply #2 on: June 19 2015, 04:23 pm

Opening Doors London's Q magazine has gone live. See it here:

http://openingdoorslondon.org.uk/newsletter/

Roy

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + POPPY STUDY - Aged 50 plus and HIV Negative? Your help is needed ....