Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Where dose HIV sit?

Where dose HIV sit?

Print
Pages: 1

Forum Link
Where dose HIV sit?
Posted on: July 7 2015, 12:53 pm

Dear UK CAB Members,

I am involved in a project covering the North West London hospitals, GPs and Social Services integrating care information across the region. One issue that has come up is where dose HIV sit?

I would like your thoughts or comments.

• Do you think that HIV should sit under Sexual Health as a confidential or sensitive diagnoses?
  • If your infection root was not through sexual exposure how do you feel about having HIV sit under a sexual health diagnoses?
  • Are you happy to disclose your HIV but not your sexual history?
I would be very grateful if you could take a few minuets to respond to this posting. If you would rather respond to me off list then please contact me at paul.decle@forum-link.org

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Kind Regards,

Paul D.
Ben Cromarty
Re: Where dose HIV sit?
Reply #1 on: July 7 2015, 01:23 pm

My hospital (James Cook, Middlesbrough) no longer has a GU or sexual health section - all that has been outsourced to local community-based clinics (run by Virgin(?), i think...). So HIV sits in the Centre for Clinical Infection (CCI) or "Infectious Diseases", along with HCV, TB, travel clinic and general infectious diseases.

...maybe that's worse, since I no longer regard myself as infectious...

My infection route was through sexual exposure. I go for sexual health screenings regularly at the (outsourced) GUM clinics...I always disclose my HIV status, and am more than happy to give a full and frank account of my sexual history...since this is treated very confidentially, I am assured! Perhaps that frankness is easier in that environment than in the Infectious Diseases unit? And these outsourced clinics, whilst they can do HIV testing, are not geared up to do HIV treatment.

HIV is still a "sensitive" diagnosis, and should be treated as such, wherever HIV treatment sits.
Ben Collins
Reply #2 on: July 7 2015, 01:33 pm

I think of it as an infectious disease rather than the mode of transmission.

I'm not infectious any more. So that's a contradiction. But of course that's onoy because of treatment.

My mode of transmission was through sex.

I'm usually ok talking about my sexual history with the common forms of uptightness. But I think it's important that services be literate around sex and drugs, MTCT, etc.

Mark Platt
Reply #3 on: July 8 2015, 05:08 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm happy to start. I've always thought that we have a raw deal by being under the sexual health umbrella. I think it can add to the stigma of being HIV+ for some people, and means that we often seem to be an isolated group of patients; remote from 'regular NHS care, but not really fitting in with the GUM services where we are usually treated. 

I think in an era of multi-morbidities, ART reduced infectiousness, and general ageing of the HIV+ population that our care should be moved aware from GUM and sexual health services.

On a personal note, and as a happily married monogamous man, I don't want to be always asked questions about my sex life that obviously remain in the consultation script as a consequence of where our disease first connected with the NHS.

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Where dose HIV sit?