Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Something Needs To Be Done

Something Needs To Be Done

Print
Pages: 1

George Rodgers
Something Needs To Be Done
Posted on: August 11 2016, 06:33 am

I had an appointment at the Diabetes Community Clinic yesterday and had a good talk with the Diabetic doctor. I told her about my sugar levels going into double figures during the hot weather. She said normally it's the other way around so I asked could it be down to being HIV as I'm not the only person who has been having this problem and she said it could be but because there's been no studies into what the long term implications are of living with HIV and diabetes no one really knows.
Basically she just fell short of saying we are guinea pigs in all of this, I don't mind being a guinea pig as long as those involved in our care start looking into things and take us seriously.
What the doctor did say is that it looks like our bodies are starting to struggle to produce insulin as my sugar levels are fine during the day but by the evening it's struggle.
So now I have to start injecting more insulin, there is another tablet I can go on as metformin doesn't agree with me. As it's a new tablet I have to book another appointment with the diabetic doctor, the name of the tablet is Empagliplozin.
I was quite upset when I left the clinic as it seems no one is looking into any of this. It's all well and good giving out dietary advice and advice about exercising but it's getting to a point now where it's not working and it's about time someone started to look into the reason why?
If someone doesn't start looking into it those of use that have been living with HIV and diabetes long term are going to end up worse.
And I must admit that now it's sunk in I'm a little scared.

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Something Needs To Be Done