Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK

Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK

Print
Pages: 1

Jacqui Stevenson
Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK
Posted on: February 12 2017, 01:43 pm

Attached, and at the link below, please find a summary of early and emerging findings from my doctoral research project, Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK: a feminist, participatory and assets-based exploration. This three-year research project aims to explore the experiences and needs of women growing older with HIV in London. It aims to add to the body of evidence around ageing and HIV, as people live longer with HIV due to effective treatment, and older people acquire and are diagnosed with HIV. With a specific focus on women and the gendered experiences of ageing, this research explores how women are responding and adapting to ageing with HIV, with a specific focus on community, social support, social and healthcare needs and the role of the State and third sector services in meeting these needs. The research utilises a feminist methodology and participatory, assets-based and narrative methods.

In this paper, I present emerging findings from three participatory, creative workshops with older women living with HIV, held in London in spring 2016. I am hugely grateful to AHPN, the Food Chain and NAZ for hosting and supporting these workshops and for their help in recruiting participants, and endorsing this paper. I am also grateful to all the women who participated in the workshops.

Please share the paper widely with your networks, and do get in touch if you have any questions.

Find the paper online at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_5XkUwJTVGwQUh2WDdJdkxzWTA

The research is ongoing, and I will start recruitment to life story interviews soon. If you are interested in finding out more about the research, or participating, please get in touch with me at j.k.stevenson@gre.ac.uk.

Best wishes
Jacqui
Ben Cromarty
Re: Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK
Reply #1 on: February 13 2017, 10:25 am

Hi, Jacqui...

...thank you for posting this, and for doing the study.

I was a bit concerned that the study is very small (n=18), and entirely London-based. But the list of issues raised is impressive - although, to be honest, they are pretty much the issues we all could cite, and are ones we all talk about already!

- isolation
- menopause
- the challenges of ageing (physically and mentally)
- HIV treatment
- GPs and other healthcare professionals
- HIV support services
- stigma and discrimination
- disclosure and support
- social care
- impact of diagnosis
- migration
- socio-economic challenges
- what the future might hold

...but I would be very interested to see what the next phase of your work delivers - the discussions about policy review with stakeholders.  Please do keep us informed, and good luck with hte research!
Jacqui Stevenson
Re: Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK
Reply #2 on: February 13 2017, 01:00 pm

Thanks very much for this Ben! I will share results from each phase as I get to it and really welcome feedback from UKCAB.

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Preliminary findings summary: Women’s experiences of ageing with HIV in the UK