+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Language ...again

Language ...again

Print
Pages: 1

Mel Rattue
Language ...again
Posted on: November 29 2018, 02:33 pm

Hi
I know this is a busy time for everyone, so please reply when you can, I have had a request from the new BHIVA guidelines coordinator and so would welcome all your thoughts and discussion, here, at the UKCAB meeting, at WAD events...

"The term ‘people living with HIV’ (or PLWH) has been used in the guidelines until now, but I have heard that it might be better to use ‘people with HIV’ (or PWH). What do you think?"

When writing the The HIV Psychosocial Network Report I shared that my preference was for no acronyms, and that I personally feel we are all "living with HIV" if we are alive. There was a discussion and "people with HIV" was then proposed and accepted. I am not sure if this is where this question has stemmed from, what does it say in other publications?

I have replied to Catherine that we can all perceive and respond to language very differently and that the term "people living with HIV"  is the standard and preferred over acronyms. Where possible this could also be changed to women living with HIV and children living with HIV. 

Thanks again
Mel
Roger Pebody
Re: Language ...again
Reply #1 on: November 29 2018, 02:40 pm

I tend to use "people living with HIV" but if frequent repetition of this phrase in a document seems cumbersome, I'll use "people with HIV" as a shorter form. I avoid abbreviations.
Angelina Namiba
Reply #2 on: November 29 2018, 02:57 pm

Dear Mel
Thank you for involving us in this critical discussion.
People living with HIV is the preferred term.
Please see:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499898/
http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/documents/2015/2015_terminology_guidelines
https://www.opendemocracy.net/alice-welbourn/hiv-and-aids-language-and-blame-game
https://hiveonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Anti-StigmaSign-Onletter1.pdf
There are probably more upto date versions. These seem unanymous.(sp)
BW
Angelina
Jane Shepherd
Steering group
Reply #3 on: November 29 2018, 03:04 pm

I agree with Roger. In all the documents I work with 'people living with HIV' is universally used (and not as an acronym) and 'people with HIV' if brevity is needed or lots of repetition. Only time to use an acronym would be a diagram or chart where there is no space. UNAIDS terminology preference is 'living with' and no acronym as it is dehuminising.  
Jim Stanford
Reply #4 on: November 29 2018, 04:57 pm

Hi Mel, I concur with Jane and a Roger. I find People living with HIV to be preferable, people with HIV only when frequent repetition and the acronym never (unless only small spac3 available on a diagram). Regards Jim
Andy Hilton
Reply #5 on: November 29 2018, 04:58 pm

It is clear that the preferred and most common phase used today is 'people living with HIV'.  This rather cumbersome phrase was adopted as an antidote to 'people dying of AIDS'.  Times have changed and maybe its time to drop the 'living with..'??

Andy
Husseina Hamza
Reply #6 on: November 29 2018, 05:14 pm

Dear Mel
I support Angelina I prefer People living With HIV
john@tcell.org.uk
Reply #7 on: November 30 2018, 01:33 pm

"People with HIV (PWH)" excludes to my mind those not infected but also measurably impacted by having a person they are close to who is.  That I understood was the reasoning behind the "People living with HIV (PLWH)". "People living with HIV" envelopes and recognises the wider and broader issues of people supporting a HIV+ person be it a family, partner, children etc. 
Ben Cromarty
Reply #8 on: December 13 2018, 05:02 pm

I too would stick with "people living with HIV". I don't mind PLWH too much...after all, we are happy to talk about HIV...or UK-CAB...or NAT...but I take on board that these are (mostly) organisations, not people, so will use the full-length "people living with HIV" if folk find that PLWH is too impersonal.

Incidentally, a young person whose name i forget (apologies) said something slong these lines recently at a meeting (and apologies if I misquote slightly...but the jist is there...):

"People talk about living with HIV. But I am not living with HIV...HIV is living with me! And I am the landlord...so I'm in control!"

...an interesting viewpoint!

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Language ...again