Message boards index | Help | Search messages | Sign in

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Topics and Speakers for Vienna 2010

Topics and Speakers for Vienna 2010

Print
Pages: 1

Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Topics and Speakers for Vienna 2010
Posted on: October 9 2009, 01:54 pm

Hello,

I am on the programme committee for the next AIDS conference which will take palce in Vienna in July 2010. I am working in the Leadershi and Accountability track.

The theme of the conference will be:

Rights Here, Rights Now

There will be a heavy focus on the importance of a Human Rights approach in the response to the epidemic.

One of my aims is to have a powerful HIV positive speaker at each plenary session. I am looking for suggestions on topics for plenary sessions and possible plenary speakers.

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Silvia

Bernard Forbes
Re: Topics and Speakers for Vienna 2010
Reply #1 on: October 9 2009, 02:16 pm

I hope this conference is an opportunity to highlight some of the shortcomings faced by people with HIV in Europe - our issues normally get ignored because much of Europe is high income, but when you look even at some EU countries there are serious issues of restrictions on travel, access to treatments, and other abuses that deny people the right to privacy, to health, to mobility, to employment, access to harm reduciton services, criminalisation, parenthood and to be able to live full and valued lives.

You will probably find a lot of calls for note to be taken of the Swiss statement on infectivity

If a conference happening within Europe fails to see there are still issues in Europe, then it will have failed.  Not that the issues facing low and middle income countries are just as important.

Good luck with it Sylvia
Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Reply #2 on: October 9 2009, 02:28 pm

Hi Bernard,

I think the conference will have a strong focus on Eastern Europe and its second official language will be Russian.

However I am with you that it is important to highlight all that it has not been achieved also in the rest of Western Europe.

One important theme that we want to address is the failure of governaments to achieve 'Universal Access by 2010'. This is not just in the developing world, it is also here. For exemple failed asylum seekers etc.

I was appaled to learn yeaterday at BHIVA that 50% of people with coinfection HIV and HCV do not receive treatment for Hep C because they are drug users and the health professionals just assume they will not be able to comply with the difficult treatment. I can not believe this is happening in the UK!

So I agree with you that we need to have a session on European shortcomings!

Thanks for your input.

Silvia
Bernard Forbes
Reply #3 on: October 9 2009, 02:36 pm

You are welcome

I think you will find the normally silent Germans making a big fuss at this one.  Their government has decided they need to resume participation in international issues.  I was at a meeting in Germany in September where they discovered they are not alone with a lot of their concerns, but they are picking up a range of batons and running full speed with some of them.

It should be fun
kevinkelleher
Reply #4 on: October 9 2009, 03:31 pm

Silvia hi,

Can I suggest the report framework for better living with HIV in England by sigma research http://www.sigmaresearch.org.uk/files/report2009e.pdf as a tool and guidance and http://benefits.tcell.org.uk/forums-keywords/benefits/social-care-rights-responsibilities-entitlements/here-you-can-contribute and http://benefits.tcell.org.uk/forums-keywords/benefits/social-care-rights-responsibilities-entitlements/community-care

Kevin
Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Reply #5 on: October 9 2009, 03:41 pm

Thank you Kevin,

I will ahve a look.

Silvia
Danny West
Reply #6 on: October 13 2009, 09:42 am

Hi Sylvia and Bernard, its reassuring to see that you are both so actively involved in the discussions about the next International AIDS Conference here in the UK-CAB forum. As you are most likely aware I am passionate about the leadership of people living with HIV and I do hope that leadership will be a key issue for discussion at the conference and that we get to see and hear increased numbers of positive empowered role models of people living with HIV both presenting workshops, facilitating discussions and having a definable impact on our  future leadership. The theme of the conference 'Rights Here, Rights Now' is an excellent theme which fits very well with both the debate about our leadership and our active participation in our future leadership .

Please let me know if I or my organisation can be of any assistance or support to you, I  am currently working on developing a new modular based leadership programme with the support of some key HIV organisations and funders for people living with HIV and am off to deliver a four day programme in Norway next week with a view to increasing leadership potential and contributions in Norway . A primary goal of my work is to support, enable and ensure that there is a significant and measurable increase in the numbers of empowered positive role models of people living HIV within our local, national and international communities.

I would interested to know how I might contribute to the conference or weather I could be of any support to UK delegates attending,

Best Wishes to you both, Danny West - RYL Training & Coaching Consultancy.

Silvia Petretti
Steering group
Reply #7 on: October 13 2009, 08:44 pm

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your comments. There will be a call for skill building sessions at the same time as for Abstract. Submissions will be open from 10Th November to 10Th of February.

I have made an explicit request that all plenary sessions and all Non Abstract Driven Sessions organized by the Leadership and Accountability Committee will include an HIV+ person.

You can get more information on the conference at their website: http://www.aids2010.org/

I also have a bog that aspires to be the diary of an HIV+ activist, and I use it to report about the work I do and I write about the process of preparing for Vienna too. Here is the link: http://hivpolicyspeakup.wordpress.com

Silvia

Garry Brough
Steering group
Reply #8 on: October 22 2009, 01:27 pm

Hi Sylvia

I'm working on an HIV & Ageing Project at the moment, for which we'll have data ready for presentation by then. What info do you require in advance for inclusion?

Thanks
Garry
Paul Clift
Reply #9 on: October 29 2009, 03:47 pm

With Human Rights and Universal Access in mind, I think you are completely right to address the topic of Universal Access and the failure of governments including our own to achieve this. I'd guess (but I don't know) that the UK government is not the only one to give greater privilege to the Migration discourse over HIV?

Bernard is right to say "our issues normally get ignored because much of Europe is high income" but this too often leads to the assumption that all individuals in Europe are 'high income' or have access to prevention, care and treatment as if they were 'high income' - which of course is nonsense.

Print
Pages: 1

+ UKCAB + Public area + News, events, announcments + Topics and Speakers for Vienna 2010